Skip to main content

Grow Your Own Migraine Remedies!


I have to apologize for my inconsistent posts. I suffer from frequent migraines, amongst other issues and I haven't proven to be the most reliable blogger! I have prescription medications but I always try to beat a headache with more natural means before resorting to those if at all possible. I know I'm not the only person that suffers from migraines and I thought today would be the perfect day to share some remedies, many of which can be grown in your garden!


I'm going to start with some simpler management to help others like me. 
ICE - Put an ice pack on your neck, at the base of your skull. Nothing quite like freezing your brain to stop the pain.
TURN OFF THE LIGHTS - While there is no evidence that fluorescent light can trigger migraines, the color of light they emit has been shown to make migraines worse.
MAGNESIUM - I may still suffer from migraines on a consistent basis but the discovery that something as simple as magnesium could sometimes stop a migraine entirely was life altering for me. There are some foods you can grow that are high in magnesium such as, almonds, spinach, and pumpkin seeds but when a migraine is bad you don't usually feel up to harvesting your treatment. My personal favorite is a powdered drink mix called Natural Calm, made by Natural Vitality. It's magnesium citrate, of which large amounts can be absorbed into the body easily. As a matter of fact, if you take too much it will act as a laxative so you may want to stick to the servings on the container.


MINT
Mint and it's active ingredient menthol is a wonderfully effective medicinal plant that has a calming and soothing effect and is a favorite of mine to add to teas to reduce nausea that often accompanies a migraine.


GINGER
Ginger is another nausea reducer and studies have shown that it reduces inflammation as well as modestly effective at reducing pain.


FEVERFEW
Feverfew has been used from as early as the fifth century BC to treat a variety of ailments including fever, swelling, inflammation, headaches, aches and pains, the common cold, and arthritis.
If can induce nausea in some so if you're interested in trying this medicinal powerhouse be sure to start small and always proceed with caution when trying something new.


ROSEMARY
Rosemary is said to have antimicrobial, antispasmodic, and antioxidant effects. In the case of migraine treatment, it can be taken internally, such as in a tea or inhaled for aromatherapeutic purposes. I personally enjoy brushing or pinching off the leaves to enjoy the aroma right from the plant but you can also buy essential oils for aromatherapeutic purposes. It has been used in the treatment of migraines, muscle and joint pain, memory problems, concentration difficulties, nervous disorders, circulatory problems, and liver ailments.


LAVENDER
This highly fragrant flower has been used since the times of ancient Egypt. These aromatic flowers have been used to treat anything from migraines, mental health, insomnia, inflamed tissue, arthritis, and stress. Like rosemary, lavender can be inhaled as an aromatherapeutic in treatment for migraine relief or made into a tea. 


TURMERIC
I could probably write an entire blog on the benefits of turmeric and I may do that at some point but in order to keep things simple, I will focus on the primary benefits associated with turmeric for migraine sufferers, reducing inflammation and natural pain relief. I'm sure you can use turmeric in tea blends as well but that isn't something I have tried myself so if you scroll to the bottom of the blog I will be sharing my favorite way to make "Golden Milk".

For those of you that are interested in growing some of these medicinal plants, I'll share my favorite blend of migraine relief tea but play around with them and find a blend that works best for you!

MIGRAINE RELIEF TEA

1 part Mint Leaves - Dried or fresh
1/2 part Lavender Flowers - Dried or fresh
Ginger - Dried or fresh Whatever you can handle, it's spicy, I love it but I realize it's very strong to some so just add as much as you find palatable. 
1/4 part Rosemary Leaves - Dried or fresh

Steep for about 3-10 minutes depending on desired strength. 

Whether using fresh or dried ingredients the effects will be the same. If you're using fresh ingredients you only need to pick what you're using for your cup of tea but with dried ingredients, you will have the advantage of being able to mix a larger batch ahead of time that can be stored in a sealed container, in a cool, dark place for several months.

GOLDEN MILK

2 Cups Almond Milk - Or whatever milk you prefer
Turmeric - 1 Tablespoon peeled, fresh grated or 1/2 Tablespoon Dried Powder
2 Tablespoons Honey

Heat all ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, the mix can bubble over quickly if you're not watching it. This will take 5-10 minutes. Strain if using fresh grated turmeric, and enjoy.

I hope this will help someone else out there to find some migraine relief!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DIY: Cattle Panel Arbor Trellis

Simple, durable, and tall enough to walk through comfortably. My Husband built this trellis for my birthday this year! I promise you, the hardest part of this arched trellis was getting the materials loaded on the trailer and bringing them home. There are multiple ways you could do this but I focused on trying to keep it a simple afternoon task and we can move it if necessary at the minimal cost of buying more heavy duty zip ties. Supplies you will need: - Cattle Panels 16' x 50" (you will need 2 panels to make one 8' wide trellis but you can easily do this with 1 panel as well. I used 4 panels total to make the 2 archways you see in the image.) - T-Posts (We used 6 of the 7' posts for a little extra stability because I plan to grow heavy plants like gourds and squash over it but you could get away with using 5') - Heavy Duty Zip Ties (The length isn't a big deal, most zip ties will be long enough but they MUST be Heavy Duty! - OPTIONAL -

Filling Raised Beds on a Budget

A very common question I get asked is how much did it cost to fill such tall raised beds with soil?  Well, almost nothing and I'm going to tell you how we did it! I waited years for my Husband to build this beauty for me. He's a perfectionist so there was a lot of collaboration between us. His primary concern was that it would be aesthetically pleasing, my primary concern was functionality and in my case, that meant it needed to be tall enough that I could still use it with my medical issues, and that left us with a huge decision to make...How do you fill tall raised beds without breaking the bank?! There are actually many answers to that question and the honest answer is, you can fill the bottom with almost anything. Leaves, grass, sticks, rocks, rubble, even old cotton clothes, and some furniture! There are pros and cons to everything but I'm going to focus on the method we used because that's what I have experience with. So if you've been into gar

Roselle & Apple Jelly Recipe

Roselle & Apple Jelly Recipe (aka Zippy Zinger Jelly!) Ok, I made up the Zippy Zinger Jelly name but it has a tasty, tart/sweet flavor that you don't commonly find in other jellies! The flavor of the Roselle calyxes before adding sugar is in my mind, like a cross between an unsweetened cranberry and a bit of lemon. Rather than taking my word for it, you can snap a piece off and eat it raw! This recipe can be made without apples but I LOVE the combination! PREPARATION: - To prep your Roselle calyxes, I recommend that you put them in a bowl and completely fill it with water to better wash them. There can be lots of debris in all of the nooks & crannies and you'll find this is a much more effective method to rinsing in a colander. - Once they are clean you have two options, you can remove the inner seedpods, or you can leave them. Leaving the seedpods in place will actually reduce the amount of pectin you need to use (if any!). I like to remove the