Skip to main content

Filling Raised Beds on a Budget


A very common question I get asked is how much did it cost to fill such tall raised beds with soil? 
Well, almost nothing and I'm going to tell you how we did it!

I waited years for my Husband to build this beauty for me. He's a perfectionist so there was a lot of collaboration between us. His primary concern was that it would be aesthetically pleasing, my primary concern was functionality and in my case, that meant it needed to be tall enough that I could still use it with my medical issues, and that left us with a huge decision to make...How do you fill tall raised beds without breaking the bank?!


There are actually many answers to that question and the honest answer is, you can fill the bottom with almost anything. Leaves, grass, sticks, rocks, rubble, even old cotton clothes, and some furniture! There are pros and cons to everything but I'm going to focus on the method we used because that's what I have experience with.
So if you've been into gardening for long, you're likely to have come across the term Permaculture (a very simple description of the word, is a focus on using natures natural patterns and resources to garden. A very interesting subject worth reading about, especially if you enjoy growing your own food!) upon further investigation of Permaculture practices you're sure to encounter Hugelkultur! 


We used the above Hugelkultur method for 100% FREE!!! Instead of having an open mound, like in the picture above, we put it in the raised bed garden. Simply put, we layered logs, branches, sticks, leaves, and grass, starting with the largest on the bottom and the smallest on top. When we ran out yard scraps I realized we needed more before topping off with compost and I liked the $0 price tag we were already working with. Enter the FREE woodchip delivery! Many tree trimming services have these as a waste product that they would otherwise have to pay to dispose of or find somewhere to dump them. Call your local tree services and many are happy to dump it right in your backyard or at the very least direct you to their secret stash where you can fill your own truck.


In the end, we decided to purchase the compost to top it off but you can fill your raised bed gardens 100% for free if you make your own compost. By this point in the process, I was feeling excited, impatient, and just wanted to start gardening so for a fraction of the expense of what it would have cost to fill the raised beds from top to bottom we paid for a load of compost from a local garden store to top off the beds. 


Something to keep in mind with this method is you will likely see a significant drop in the soil level for the first few years as the materials settle and breakdown. So start a compost pile so you can top it off annually or plan to buy a load of compost every spring for a few years. (I also continue to top with mulched dead leaves every fall, they break down quickly and add to the compost as well as protect it. 

So that's how we filled our garden beds on a budget! I hope you enjoyed this first real installment on the blog! Let me know if you have any questions that I didn't address! Now go out and get your hands dirty! 

Comments

  1. this sounds really great...I like that it's cheap and it should contain all the nutrients needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Head Titanium Titanium Art - Art | TITENWOODS.com
    Custom head Titanium Art, a new, titanium vs ceramic unique product design on TITENWOODS.com. micro titanium trim Explore our titanium flashlight latest and popular head titanium babyliss titanium flat iron art designs, products & more! titanium security

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DIY: Cattle Panel Arbor Trellis

Simple, durable, and tall enough to walk through comfortably. My Husband built this trellis for my birthday this year! I promise you, the hardest part of this arched trellis was getting the materials loaded on the trailer and bringing them home. There are multiple ways you could do this but I focused on trying to keep it a simple afternoon task and we can move it if necessary at the minimal cost of buying more heavy duty zip ties. Supplies you will need: - Cattle Panels 16' x 50" (you will need 2 panels to make one 8' wide trellis but you can easily do this with 1 panel as well. I used 4 panels total to make the 2 archways you see in the image.) - T-Posts (We used 6 of the 7' posts for a little extra stability because I plan to grow heavy plants like gourds and squash over it but you could get away with using 5') - Heavy Duty Zip Ties (The length isn't a big deal, most zip ties will be long enough but they MUST be Heavy Duty! - OPTIONAL -

Roselle & Apple Jelly Recipe

Roselle & Apple Jelly Recipe (aka Zippy Zinger Jelly!) Ok, I made up the Zippy Zinger Jelly name but it has a tasty, tart/sweet flavor that you don't commonly find in other jellies! The flavor of the Roselle calyxes before adding sugar is in my mind, like a cross between an unsweetened cranberry and a bit of lemon. Rather than taking my word for it, you can snap a piece off and eat it raw! This recipe can be made without apples but I LOVE the combination! PREPARATION: - To prep your Roselle calyxes, I recommend that you put them in a bowl and completely fill it with water to better wash them. There can be lots of debris in all of the nooks & crannies and you'll find this is a much more effective method to rinsing in a colander. - Once they are clean you have two options, you can remove the inner seedpods, or you can leave them. Leaving the seedpods in place will actually reduce the amount of pectin you need to use (if any!). I like to remove the